Monday, 27 February 2012

Do I need Counselling or Psychotherapy?

The words 'Counselling' and 'Psychotherapy' are often used interchangeably and overlap in a number of ways.  Professionals trained in this area will agree that Counsellors, Psychotherapists and Clinical Psychologists are people who are trained:
  • to listen to people and give them advice about their problems
  • to provide treatment of emotional or psychological distress by discussing with the sufferer the problems which caused the distress, instead of using drugs
Counselling, in specific situations, is offered as part of the psychotherapy process; whereas a counsellor may work with clients in a psychotherapeutic manner.

It is much more useful if you think about whether the information you have about the professional tells you if this is someone you want to work with or not.  This may mean meeting the professional first, which is why several professionals offer a reduced price consultation session.   

On this website, counsellor, therapist, psychologist, psychotherapist, clinical psychologist and various other terms are used interchangeably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment